She Now Wants to Learn English

Ξ January 25th, 2009 | → 9 Comments | ∇ Costa Rica |

Well it has been a pretty good marriage.  Not sure how much longer it will last.  Maria Luisa announced on New Years Eve that she now wants to learn English!  OMG!

I met my wife almost 5 years ago. My friends Ray and Patricia invited me over to meet this great woman who, I was told, speaks English fluently. Wonderful, sez I, and off I go!

Well… she was great, but the “speaks English fluently” thing was horsepucky.  However, chemistry being what it is… we started dating and the rest is history. Left out of this history is the fact that I spoke maybe 50 words of Spanish when I met her.  This was good and bad! As she had no desire to learn any English, it was incumbant on ME to learn Spanish, something I had promised myself and others that I woould do… but didn’t. I was immersed… and when she moved in six months later, I was really immersed! My housekeeper spoke only Spanish and my wife spoke only Spanish, and most of my customers speak/spoke only Spanish… so I learned…fast!

One of the cool things I discovered and have written about before, is that I have long felt that when a couple fights, it is very often because the guy says something stupid or thoughtless.   Not always, of course.  The other reason couples fight is when the woman is just being bitchy! Either way, if one person cannot understand the other, there is no fight!

So, for the first year, we never had an argument!

Now of course, I speak Spanish pretty well.  We also now fight on occasion! I am just thrilled to think that if ML is successful, we can then fight in two languages.

The big day was January 1, but we both forgot, so the learning began on the 2nd.  The new rule is, “No Spanish in the house!” and though it is hard to believe, she is keeping to it.  The only time we revert to Spanish is when she is either really emotional or really PO’d. When either of those events occur, she reverts to Spanish,  Ricky Ricardo style! Sadly, when she does the Ricky thing, she speaks so damned fast I don’t understand much anyway. Have I ever mentioned that Costa Rican women tend to the emotional?

I must say though, after almost four weeks, she is doing amazingly well. Of course like most people learning  new language, she speaks a lot in the present tense, and sorta sounds like a Pakistani 711 owner, “Yes, I am owning this store four years now!” but without the funny accent.

We speak English for maybe one or two hours daily and more on weekends.  So far, her patience has been quite unbelievable and as regular readers know… my wifey is not known for her patience.

We shall see!  If I suddenly stop blogging and do not answer emails, you will know she has killed me.

9 Responses to ' She Now Wants to Learn English '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' She Now Wants to Learn English '.

1. Will said,

on January 25th, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Good for her!

2. GirlBlue said,

on January 26th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

She’s so pretty, good luck with…erm…everything

Please don’t kill him wifey he can’t help the fact that he’s a man hehehe

3. miguel said,

on January 27th, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Good luck…I’ve been trying to learn Spanish off and on for a number of years now…my wife is some what fluent in Spanish and we tried doing what you’re doing…I guess we’re(likely me)just not as persistent. I definitely speak mostly in the present tense…cuando hablo espanol.

PS We’ll keep an eye out for your blogs. 🙂

4. Bree Wee said,

on February 18th, 2009 at 12:14 am

This is the most hilarious thing I have read in sooooo long! I can totally relate, most of my best friends are from Costa Rica and I have spent 11 summers of my life there with them, and with my Spanglish fighting just was not an option… hilarious post… thanks for sharing and GOOD LUCK to you both!

5. miguel said,

on February 21st, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Hey…how goes the lessons? You still with us…in the land of the living? hehe…#:-)]

6. Henry Rogers said,

on June 17th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Dear Tim,

First and formost I have to thank you for your website it was the most informitive one on the internet. Next I wish your wife the best of luck with her english. Lucky for her its much more slowly spoken than spanish. I live in Charelston SC and currently work as an estimater/project manager. I’m 25 years old and feel like every day is the same here so I plan to do something about that. When not working I love surfing it is my passion. Which presents a problem when you only get waves during hurricanes. I plan to visit Costa in December through a surf camp I’m sure that sounds very touristy to you being a resident and all. Anyway after my visit I plan to move to there if every thing pans out. I know your not a charity and I would not ask for it I have always been tought to earn what you get work hard and always show integrity. So to the bottom line I was wondering if in the next year or so if you would have any leads on where to get a job. I’m great with my hands and also know the paper work aspect of construction. I also don’t really know where to live I don’t want to buy until I know that I will be staying there permanetly. If you can help me or know someone who could I would be more than happy to help you out in any way I can whether it be maintnence on your home heavy lifting of any sort ext. Also my spanish is not completly fluent but good enough to get me around. If you read this I appreciate you taking your time to do so and again regardless of it all thank you for your informitive website.

P.S. If you help me out in anyway when I move there I will have my mother ship you a box with fig newtons once a month.

Sincerely,

Henry Rogers

7. Tim said,

on July 16th, 2009 at 8:25 pm

I hope you enjoy your trip… but before planning to move here and work, you should read this:

8. gordon bode said,

on October 23rd, 2009 at 9:03 am

Tim, I enjoy your site. It gave me a heads up on what to expect. My last 3 south america trips I just went. Luckily my kind of o.k. spanish helped

9. Devon Price said,

on January 12th, 2011 at 10:01 am

Just discovered your web site and blog and find it full of critically useful information – and amusing stories. I’ve only visited Costa Rica once – that was last March – but plan to come back – as soon as the tendon I pulled hiking up the side of Arenal is repaired and heals! You sound like someone I’d love to share a beer or two – or six – with.